Continuing online operations

Loyola is continuing online operations while we prepare for reopening safely in the fall. Coronavirus resources

Back to Top

Students | Academics and Tuition

How will registration and advising work for summer and fall 2020?

Consult the updated registration calendar.

How will courses be offered for the Fall 2020 semester?

We will offer a mix of asynchronous online, synchronous online, HyFlex, and on-ground courses for the Fall 2020 semester. All on-ground learning will follow social distancing and face mask requirements and classrooms will operate with limited capacity. You will find details about the delivery format of your course on LORA. LORA is subject to change based on faculty availability and room assignment changes that are required by changing enrollments. If you have questions about your schedule, please contact your academic advisor or success coach. 

View the Academics page for more information.

I don’t feel comfortable taking on-ground courses. What options are available to me?

In the event that you and your family believe it most appropriate for you to study from home for the fall semester, we encourage you to work with your academic advisor and the associate dean of your college to construct a schedule that is optimized to ensure you are having the best possible learning experience. We can help you work through any issues you are facing. Your education and wellbeing are our top priority.

Will labs be able to be offered virtually?

Yes, some will be available virtually. Check with your success coach/advisor or dean to find out what is available.

If I am in a hybrid classes, can I go entirely remote and keep the class?

Yes, but you should check in with your department or dean to make sure for each specific class. Generally, we’ve structured our courses so that faculty can teach in person at a safe distance, but also make it possible for students to participate completely remotely if needed.

What steps are being taken to make classrooms safe?

We will do everything we can to make campus a safe space from the spread of the virus. We’ve decommissioned and moved furniture to allow six feet of distance in classrooms between chairs. Students will sit six feet apart and wear masks. We will provide enhanced cleaning services that include electrostatic disinfecting in all interior spaces. We will provide the highest level of air filtration that our HVAC units will allow and maximize outside air intake.

I have a health condition that makes me more vulnerable to COVID-19. What options will I have for taking courses?

The Office of Accessible Education (OAE) can work with students who have health conditions that require official accommodation. Please contact the OAE if you have any concerns about returning to campus for classes. The OAE works with all colleges to provide all-online schedules where they are needed.

What if I get sick and fall behind on my coursework?

First and foremost, we want all Loyola students and community members to remain safe, healthy, and well. In the event that you fall sick, your first priority should be to get better. Faculty will be flexible about attendance rules and work with students who are ill. 

If a student tests positive for COVID-19, then Student Affairs staff will help that student enact their COVID Positive Plan, which must be submitted before the start of the Fall 2020 semester. Students must follow quarantine and isolation requirements to help protect all members of the Loyola community.

How will you accommodate deaf students who lip read, if teachers are wearing masks?

Loyola is ordering clear masks for all faculty so students can see mouths and lip read, even with a mask on.

What will online learning look like for the Fall 2020 semester? Is it different from what was offered for Spring 2020?

Online courses will be offered through Canvas, our significantly upgraded learning platform, which will replace Blackboard. We have drawn on our many in-house experts in digital learning to ensure that we have the best guidance in developing and presenting our courses, both online and in the classroom.   

Students will be hearing more about the move to Canvas in the coming weeks and we will be providing training and resources to ensure this experience is smooth for you. If you are taking the free Understanding COVID-19 course this summer you will get a sneak peak of learning in Canvas.

My professor is holding class at the regular meeting time, but I cannot make it. What should I do?

Professors may hold classes at the regular meeting times in-person or via Zoom, but they have been asked to record those sessions and post them online to make them available to students not able to make the synchronous sessions. We will also maintain flexible attendance and deadline policies in recognition of the fact that students may become ill or have loved ones who become ill.

How will music and performance studies courses be offered?

For the most part, individual music classes will be taught almost entirely virtually to reduce risk. Some ensembles will be taught where students will spread out at safe distances in large performance halls. To inquire about a specific course, please reach out to your dean.

When will classes end for the Fall 2020 semester?

We will end on-ground campus instruction and events before Thanksgiving break, which will take place from November 23-27. Classes will resume remotely on November 30 for the remainder of the semester and final exams. 

We will move Labor Day and fall break holidays to the Friday, Monday, and Tuesday of Thanksgiving week to allow for a proper break if those days are not needed earlier. If Loyola must move to fully online teaching prior to Thanksgiving these three additional days will be used as transition time.

View the Academic Calendar

View College of Law Academic Calendar

Will tuition be discounted because students are going home after Thanksgiving?

No. The final weeks of classes and final exams are moving online to eliminate the risk of our population traveling away and possibly returning with the virus. You are still receiving the normal semester’s length of instruction.

Has fall study abroad been canceled? What about for the spring semester?

Fall semester study abroad programs have all been canceled. Spring 2021 applications are still being accepted at this time. Please reach out to Wyatt Boykin (Study Abroad Advisor) or Mariette Thomas (CIE Director) with any questions or concerns. 

What if I don't have a laptop or necessary equipment to complete a particular course?

Please be on the lookout for a survey in the next few weeks that asks about your access to technology. The Monroe Library supports students by loaning laptops and hotspots, as supply allows. Campus computer labs will be also available, with appropriate social distancing protocols in place.

What if I forget my SSO login information?

If you encounter difficulty logging into Single Sign On, you can email

I have OAE accommodations and don’t know how they will work for the new Fall 2020 learning formats. Who can I contact?

If you have a question about whether an accommodation is still valid, you should speak with your Accessibility Counselor. If your question is about the mechanics of how an assignment or test will function in Canvas, you should talk to your instructor who may refer you to the Online Learning Team if your question is beyond their expertise.

I love my success coach. Will they be available for the Fall 2020 semester?

Yes! Send them an email and set up an appointment.

I love my librarian liaison. Will they be available for the Fall 2020 semester?

Yes! Contact a librarian liaison via email or chat. Find out more here:

Will I be able to get tutoring?

Yes, absolutely. The Pan-American Life Student Success Center will continue to provide tutoring and learning support, success coaching and advising, and career development guidance. If you are off campus or prefer an online meeting, they are fully accessible by Zoom. Please consult their website for information about services and about on-ground operations as those details become available.

You can sign up for tutoring using the standard Office of Writing and Learning Support (OWLS). OWLS offers tutoring in math, science, writing, languages, accounting, economics, and more.

Will I be able to meet with my academic advisor?

Absolutely. Advisors can meet with you via video conferencing, phone calls, and email. If you are having difficulty getting in touch with your advisor, please contact Dr. Paul Buehler in the Student Success Center at, 504.865.2139, or via

How can I view my tuition billing statement?

All student tuition billing statements can be viewed in the e-Commerce system. You can access the e-Commerce system from your LORA account.

How can I make a tuition payment?

Tuition payments can be made online via our e-Commerce system with an electronic check (free service). All that is needed is your financial institutions routing number and your checking or savings account information. Credit card payments are only accepted online as the e-Commerce provider charges a non-refundable 2.85% fee.

Can I mail in a tuition payment?

You can mail in a non-cash tuition payment to the Bursar’s Office directly. Our mailing address is:

6363 St. Charles Avenue
Campus Box 78
New Orleans, LA 70118

Your check payment will be safely secured at the university until we return to campus to post your payment.

Can I speak to a Bursar’s Office representative during normal business hours?

Yes, you can speak with a Bursar’s representative by calling 504.865.2388. Calls will be answered Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. (CDT). You can also send an email to and we will respond to your email.

How can I receive a copy of my 1098-T?

Students can contact ECSI for their tax document. If you prefer, you can call them directly at 1.866.428.1098. Live CHAT is also available.

Students | Student Health

What services are available to students for Fall 2020?

The Student Health Services (SHS) clinic will be open by appointment only. Appointments are free of charge for students. Students can call SHS at 504.865.3326, Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.

For after-hours consultations, students can all the Ochsner COVID info hotline 24/7 at 844.888.2772. Telehealth stations will also be located at the Danna Student Center, Founder’s Hall, and the Law School for students to speak virtually with a health care provider. 

A Registered Nurse or Nurse Practitioner on the SHS staff will contact any students who test positive for COVID-19 daily to assess their symptoms and offer guidance.

What protocols will the health clinic follow in relation to COVID-19?

Loyola University partners with Ochsner Health System to operate our health clinic. Our student health team currently follows protocols established by Ochsner, Louisiana Department of Health, and the CDC. Our model has changed to appointment only instead of walk-in/first come first serve. Students will be informed of the safety protocols prior to their arrival for appointments. The door will be locked and the student will call when they are outside the door for their appointment. Temperature will be checked at the door and the student will be walked straight to a room. No one will be sitting in the waiting room

​Will the Student Health Center hours be extended during the COVID crisis?

Student Health Services will continue to operate Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. Students can call the Ochsner 24/7 COVID info hotline at 844.888.2772 to speak with a health care professional on weekends and after hours and email at any time.    

Should I contact SHS if I experience COVID-19 symptoms?

Yes, students experiencing COVID symptoms should call SHS at 504-865-3326 for a telephone screening, available M–F from 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m. SHS will determine whether COVID testing is indicated. Testing will be available at SHS. While waiting for results, students will be instructed by SHS staff on proper quarantine protocol based on the individual student. After hours or on weekends, students who are symptomatic should contact the Ochsner COVID info hotline at 844.888.2772.

How long will the test results take if someone tests positive?

It will depend on the capacity of the labs that process our tests. Symptomatic students who have been recommended for testing by SHS should isolate while awaiting results, either in their off-campus residence, or in our "awaiting testing results" rooms.

What if I am diagnosed with COVID-19?

If you test positive for COVID-19, call SHS at 504.865.3326 or email immediately. Resident students are also required to inform Residential Life at SHS will help students enact their COVID Positive Plan.

If a student falls ill due to COVID-19, will SHS be able to transfer them to a hospital?

Students in self-isolation should follow all recommendations of their health care provider, which may include hospitalization if a higher level of care is required. Examples of symptoms that require a higher level of care include hypoxia (low oxygen levels), shortness of breath, uncontrolled fever, and/or dehydration.

What health insurance options are available to students?

This year, there is no Loyola sponsored health insurance plan for students. Please go to your insurance website and check to see if you have coverage in New Orleans. If you have out-of-state Medicaid, are uninsured or underinsured, visit, call 504.865.3835 to schedule a case management appointment, or visit our website for help finding coverage in the greater New Orleans area. Our team will work with you to help you find coverage in Louisiana.

Please note, that while visits to Student Health Services are provided at no additional cost to students, any labs or tests (except as specified below) will be charged to your insurance or your student account.

You are required to complete a COVID-19 daily symptom self-assessment using the #CampusClear app, and to follow the recommendations of Student Health Services, including any recommendation for necessary lab work. While it is your responsibility to ensure that you have a plan to pay for your medical care, no one will be refused COVID-19 testing if it is recommended by the Student Health Services staff.

​Are you offering a health plan for students from outside the U.S.?

All F-1 and J-1 visa holding international students at Loyola University New Orleans are required to have health insurance. This requirement is for your health and safety, should you become ill or need to seek medical attention. You are automatically billed and enrolled in a plan provided by Lewermark Insurance that is specifically designed to meet the needs of international students. Learn more on this page.

How is Loyola planning to handle seasonal flu cases or typical illnesses?

We will be swabbing students for the flu and treating them the same as we have in the past. We will write prescriptions for Tamiflu and give them school notes to miss classes. We will continue to offer our regular health services by appointment only. 

Students | Residential Life

How can I contact Residential Life?

Residential Life is available for phone and/or video appointments to assist students. Email or call 504.865.2445 if you have any questions about your housing plan for Fall 2020. After the start of the semester, in-person appointments will be available upon request on a limited basis.

When will I be notified of my housing assignment?

We are planning to send out housing assignment notifications by July 15.

Can I mail items directly to my residence hall before move-in day?

Yes, but no more than 2 boxes will be accepted per resident. Please limit the size of the box to no larger than 24" x 18" x 24" (W x L x H) or 6 cu/ft. Please use the resident’s full legal name and the following address:

Full Legal Name

200 LaSalle Ct.

New Orleans, LA 70118

Items shipped by August 1 will be delivered to the resident’s room. Any items received from August 10-21 are not guaranteed to be delivered to the resident’s room. You can find more information, including details about early drop-off programs, on this page.

Can I request a single room instead of my current room placement?

​If you would prefer a single room, please contact Residential Life at or call 504.865.2445 and we will place you on the wish list. We can't guarantee that we can fulfill every request at this time. 

Is the Adler Hotel still an option for upperclassmen?

Yes, we are still housing students at the Alder who want to stay there. Some upperclass students have also been able to come back to residence halls as rooms are made available. 

What is the timeline and process for Fall 2020 move-in?

Students can register for their move-in day and time via the link provided in their housing assignment email. Move-in will take place August 17-21 for first year students and August 17-22 for returning upperclass students. Students will be able to select a 2-hour time slot for move-in. Please plan to only arrive within 15 minutes of your check in time. If you arrive early, you will be asked to wait for your designated check in time.

To check in, students will drive up to our designated drive-in check-in location. After receiving their check-in, they will be directed to a parking garage. At the parking garage, they will park in a designated parking spot that will come with a bin. During this 2-hour window, they will be able to unload their cars and use the elevators. After this 2-hour window, they will have to move their car to an upper floor. They will be able to use their stairs, but cannot use the elevator until after 5 p.m. Please note, elevators can be used by people with physical needs at any time during move-in. 

​How many family members can help me move into my residence hall room on move-in day?

Students can bring up to two family members to help during their designated move-in time slot.

Will housing rates be discounted because students are going home after Thanksgiving?

No. Housing contracts are annual. While you will be in the residence halls for a shorter amount of time in the fall semester, the residence halls will be available to you earlier in the spring for our January term.

How will you keep residence halls safe for the Fall 2020 semester?

Loyola, like many other universities, has made the decision to reduce the density in our residence halls to minimize risk of infection spread. We will also implement enhanced cleaning protocols in all common spaces and restrooms. We will be cleaning common area/community bathrooms twice daily. Additionally, cleaning supplies will be available in common areas so that students may sanitize before and after use, particularly those with high touch surfaces. We will not be cleaning internal suites or apartment bathrooms. Students will self clean those. 

If I cancel my fall housing, can I re-apply for housing in the spring?

Students who are cancelling their housing for the fall and plan to study remotely will be eligible to re-apply for housing in the spring semester. Applications will be available in October. Students will not be guaranteed their same assignment, but we anticipate being to house all students who had a fall assignment in the spring semester. 

Will I have to wear a mask inside my residence hall?

Students will be required to wear masks in community spaces. They will not be required to wear them in their room, but it is highly encouraged for students to do so, unless sleeping. 

Will there be a curfew for residence halls?

No, we will not have a curfew at this time.

If I am living on campus will I be able to travel during the school year?

All students living in on-campus or off-campus housing during the Fall 2020 semester will be expected to remain in the New Orleans area during the semester, refraining from unnecessary travel until we go home at Thanksgiving. If you must travel, please call Student Health Services at 504.865.3326 and inform them of your travel plans; you may be asked to self isolate for 14 days upon your return. 

If I decide mid-semester that I feel unsafe and want to move back home and continue my studies remotely, will I get a housing refund?

We are determined, unless circumstances make it impossible, to keep residence halls open this year. Your housing contract functions like any lease for off-campus housing would. If you yourself choose to leave campus or go elsewhere past the fifth week of classes using our normal prorated credit policy, we will not issue refunds. Learn more about our policies for Canceling Housing

If the residence halls undergo a mandated shutdown by city, state or federal officials, then a prorated credit will be applied to student accounts for the duration of the shut down. For example, if state officials require Loyola to close the residence halls for two weeks and then reopen, residential students would receive a two-week room credit. 

Will there be a residential advisor (RA) to support students on each floor?

Yes, we are maintaining our typical staffing model of one RA per floor/wing community.

When will residence halls close for Thanksgiving?

They will close the day before Thanksgiving on Wednesday, November 25.

Will I be able to safely isolate in the residence halls if I test positive for COVID-19?

Yes, we have a designated COVID isolation ward for students living on campus to safely complete a mandated isolation period if they test positive for COVID-19. If you choose this option for isolation, you will be required to stay in your assigned isolation room, except to use the restroom, for the duration of your isolation. Meals will be delivered to you. Laundry service will also be provided via pickup and delivery service, as you will not be able to utilize common area laundry facilities. There is no nurse on the premises, but SHS will check in with you daily about your symptoms via telephone or video chat. You are required to answer these calls, and to follow all health recommendations, including regular symptom checks, and any recommendation that you be transported to the hospital.   

What will students need to bring if they need to move to the COVID isolation ward?

They should pack a bag with essentials. They will need to bring linens for the rooms and any medications they need. We will deliver meals and offer laundry services. SHS will call them daily to check on them.

How will you check if students show symptoms in the residence halls?

We are using the #CampusClear symptom checker app and testing it out now. We will make sure students report symptoms, take their own temperature, and stay home if they feel unwell. All students living in residence halls will receive guidance and frequent check-ins from residence hall assistants (RAs). All students at Loyola will complete COVID-19 education before returning to campus.

Are we allowed to have visitors on campus in the resident halls?

We will not allow outside visitors or visitors between residence halls. You can review our Campus Visitor Policy to learn about general requirements for visitors on campus.

Are returning students still getting a housing credit this semester since they left campus early in March?

Yes. Credits were applied to student accounts in April. Some families used the credit against this fall bill and others requested a refund.  

Students | University Counseling Center

How will I meet with my counselor?

The University Counseling Center (UCC) will continue to offer remote counseling in the fall and will resume in-person appointments when safe to do so and will follow appropriate health protocols.

How do I make an appointment?

Appointments can be scheduled by calling 504.865.3835, Monday – Friday from 8:30 a.m. – 4:45 p.m.

What if I am experiencing a mental health crisis?

Students can call our counselor on-call 24/7 at 504.865.3835. If you are on-campus and require immediate assistance, please call LUPD at 504.865.3434.

What other resources is the UCC providing?

View a full list of services offered by the UCC and review the virtual self care guide. Follow @loynohealthadvocates on Instagram for self-care and mental health tips and support!

Are there any spiritual-based counseling services available?

Yes. Please contact Student Life and Ministry at 504.865.3622 or to request an appointment.

Students | Dining

What are the summer dining options and hours?

Starting Monday, May 11, the Orleans Room is offering boxed meal pickup during the once-daily time:

  • Monday–Sunday: 11:30 a.m.–12:30 p.m.

Guests may pick up hot lunch, boxed dinner, and continental breakfast items during this designated pickup time.

What will dining hours be for the Fall 2020 semester?

Dining hours will adjust to support new operating procedures. That announcement will be forthcoming as plans are finalized.

Will food allergy accommodations be met?

Yes, we make it a priority to offer foods that meet your dietary and allergy requirements. Sodexo will have grab-n-go options available to address common food-allergy reactions to milk, eggs, wheat, soy, shellfish, peanuts, and tree nuts. If you require an official food accommodation, please email

Will retail food options be available?

All retail food venues in the Danna Student Center and at the BAC, including Starbucks, are closed through August 1. We will reopen options for the Fall 2020 semester with enhanced cleaning protocols, social distancing requirements, and capacity limits according to city and state guidelines. 

What safety measures will you take for fall dining services?

In partnership with our food provider, Sodexo, Loyola will enact proven precautions and safety practices, combined with transparent and ongoing communication, to offer healthy, safe, and delicious dining options on campus this fall. The campus dining team is taking every precaution to deliver safe, high-quality food in a carefully controlled environment, including requiring personal protective equipment, frequent hand washing, and regular temperature checks for our staff. We will also eliminate self-service options, expand options for carryout orders, and use touchless technology for transactions. We will follow enhanced cleaning protocols for high-touch areas and limit capacity according to city and state guidelines. We have also ordered outdoor seating so students can eat outside. We are making event spaces and other spaces available to students for dining. 

Will commuter students be able to opt out of the required $250 Wolf Bucks commuter fee?

Students who are studying 100% remotely and out of the New Orleans area will not be required to maintain a meal plan. Students who are still commuting to campus and in the New Orleans area will still carry the commuter plan.

Will Wolf Bucks be able to be used at retail locations and for mobile ordering?

Yes, Wolf Bucks will be able to be used at retail locations for mobile ordering and pick up.

Will unused Wolf Bucks from last semester be credited?

Yes, those will appear on the student’s ID card when they begin the semester. That spring balance will decline before using the Fall meal plan allotment.

Is dining open to the general public?

Dining on campus will only be limited to students, faculty, and staff. Our Campus Visitor Policy outlines our full plan for allowing guests on campus, including dining establishments. 

Will cross campus dining be suspended?

Our dining reciprocity program in partnership with Tulane is suspended until further notice. This is a mutual agreement to help reduce the risk of spreading the virus between the two campuses. 

Will catering events be canceled?

All on campus catering events are canceled for the remainder of the semester or until further notice.

Students | Commencement

When will the rescheduled in-person Commencement take place?

While we had hoped to be able to hold an in-person commencement ceremony at Loyola in August, the COVID-19 global pandemic has continued to surface unprecedented challenges. As a university, we felt obligated to respect these serious challenges and the impact they have had on so many members of our community, as well as consider them against the immense logistical coordination required of any commencement celebration. Even as we aimed to hold separate ceremonies for each college, we faced enormous impracticalities that would stand in the way of a proper celebration. The more we explored the possibilities, the more we realized that at this juncture, holding commencement on campus in August was not a feasible option, as we had hoped. We are deeply saddened by this, and grateful for the understanding of graduates and their families. 

We remain committed to celebrating the Class of 2020 in the safest ways possible and have several options for our graduates:

  • All members of the Class of 2020 are invited to participate in the 2021 Commencement and to walk on stage in their regalia next May. We plan to celebrate your class with special reunion parties, including Maroon and Gold for the undergraduates. This will be an opportunity to see your friends and faculty again on campus and we will make it very special. 
  • Anyone who can’t join us for commencement next May is invited to walk with the graduating class anytime over the next five years.
  • For those of you who are nearby on August 6-8, or who would still like to come to town, you are invited to come to campus to get your regalia and take a photo receiving your “diploma” from President Tetlow. We will gather in smaller groups of graduates and their guests, spread out in Holy Name of Jesus church on campus. You can experience the moment of having your name called and receive your diplomas in cap and gown in front of family and friends.

In order to participate in the photo opportunity on August 6-8, you must register for a timeslot and also register with Candid Campus to ensure you get your official photo thereafter. Local guidance currently requires that no more than 25 people attend the event at a time, so you must register ahead to reserve your spot. Registration runs from 8 a.m. on Tuesday, July 21 through 5 p.m. on Monday, July 27, or whenever all time slots are filled.

  • Each graduate will register for a 30 minute session and may bring up to four guests. You will need to register your guests on the registration form (so we know how much room we have). If you need to bring additional guests, please email and we will make adjustments on a case-by-case basis.  
  • You and all members of your party will be required to wear masks, but you will be allowed to remove it when you receive your diploma and take your photo.
  • These small photo ceremonies will consist of a brief welcome to set the occasion, then we will call your name to come receive your diploma from President Tetlow. (Though of course, we’ve mailed the real diplomas to you, as we always do in a normal year, so it will be a diploma case.) We’ll take an official photograph for you, and then you can walk around campus with your guests posing for photographs at all your favorite spots. 

What about graduate programs and the College of Law?

Graduates from the College of Law and the School of Nursing will have photo opportunity sessions on August 6. Graduates from other graduate programs will have photo opportunities on August 7-8.

What about the other events like the Masses and the Maroon and Gold Gala?

While current restrictions prevent us from holding these events in August 2020, we will plan special reunion parties for the Class of 2020, including Maroon and Gold, around the 2021 Commencement.

When will I get my diploma?

All diplomas have been mailed to the address we have on file for each graduate.

What about my cap and gown?

Delivery of the caps and gowns was delayed until mid-July. We will hold your cap and gown for the August photo opportunity or for participation in the May 2021 ceremony. We will contact students who have indicated that they will not participate in either of these options to determine whether they would like to have their regalia mailed to them or to discuss other options.

Will graduation fees be refunded?

The fees support celebrating the Class of 2020 at this year’s virtual celebration and events that will be held in May 2021, creating and mailing graduates’ diplomas and leather covers, and buying and shipping regalia, among other commencement-related activities. Graduation fees are always collected from all graduates, regardless of their participation in the ceremony and other Commencement events. There has been no change in policy.

Students | Athletics & USC

When will practices and league play resume?

We will follow all guidelines laid out by the National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics (NAIA). Following their guidance, we will reach out to student athletes when more information becomes available. View NAIA COVID-19 Resources for more information.

How will you reduce the risk of student athletes spreading illness?

Coaches and student athletes will be trained on symptom awareness, social distancing in athletic events, and infection prevention and control. We will also increase cleaning services in athletics common areas and provide additional self-cleaning resources to student athletes.

Will my athletic scholarship be maintained?

Yes. We are committed to honoring your athletic scholarship.

Can students return for a fifth season since the NAIA canceled spring sports?

Yes. Student-athletes competing in spring sports have been granted a fifth season of competition by the NAIA.

Is the University Sports Complex open?

The University Sports Complex (USC) will remain closed for the summer and reopen for the Fall 2020 semester. The USC will comply with state and local guidelines for maximum occupancy for gyms, taking into consideration athletic training activities occurring in the same space. The USC will also plan for additional cleaning supplies and services.

Will community members receive refunds?

We will freeze all community memberships until we reopen to the public. For personal training clients, unused personal training sessions will remain on your respective accounts until we restart training sessions.  Members with locker rentals, please contact Assistant Athletic Director, Jordan Gabriel ( or Facility Coordinator, Tim Kettenring ( to set up appointments to retrieve the contents of your lockers.

Students | Student Life & Ministry/DSC

What programs/events will be occurring?

The Department of Student Life and Ministry has been working very hard to create innovative and safe engagement opportunities on campus for the Fall 2020 semester. We are working on virtual event and small-group opportunities that we will continue to announce in the coming weeks. We are being very creative in how we continue to support important student engagement opportunities such as Fraternity and Sorority life, student organizations, and leadership formation opportunities.

Are there any virtual engagement offerings?

Yes, check out HowlConnect or your Corq app to see current virtual events. Also, check out the Student Life and Ministry (@loyno_slm) and SGA (@loyno_sga) instagram pages to stay up to date with engagement opportunities.

Will the Danna Student Center be open?

The Danna Student Center (DSC) will remain open for the summer for the following hours: Monday – Friday from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. and Saturday – Sunday from 11:30 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.

We will announce Fall 2020 hours soon.

How can I access ebooks from the bookstore?

Loyola’s bookstore is offering free ebook access. For more information, please visit

​How will the bookstore operate for students to purchase books?

The bookstore is offering contactless delivery of all textbooks. There will be no textbooks available at the physical bookstore location. Students should order as soon as possible to have textbooks available for the first day of classes. Students can find and order textbooks in LORA by pulling up their class schedule or on the Bookstore Website by searching for classes.

Are there any spiritual-based counseling services available?

Yes. Please contact Student Life and Ministry at 504.865.3622 or to request an appointment.

Will Iggy’s Cupboard remain open?

Iggy’s Cupboard is available by appointment only, Tuesdays from 2–3 p.m. and Wednesdays from 9 a.m.–4 p.m. These summer hours are effective May 11–August 15. Please call Student Health Services at 504.865.3326 to schedule a time to visit.

For food assistance within the greater New Orleans area, please visit or dial 211. 

For food assistance in Louisiana, contact Second Harvest Food Bank Southeast Louisiana at or call 855.392.9338.

Students can also find access to free or reduced resources, including food, housing, healthcare, and more through the social care network at

For Iggy's Cupboard info, questions, or concerns, contact Heather Malveaux at

Will my student organization be allowed to travel during the school year?

The university (e.g. SGA) will not approve or provide funding for any travel for individuals or student organizations (e.g. to attend conferences). Students are expected to remain in the New Orleans area during the Fall 2020 semester, refraining from unnecessary travel until we go home at Thanksgiving.

I am a member of Fraternity and Sorority Life. How will this affect me?

All in-person organization events and meetings are canceled. Per our student organization policy, registered student organizations are prohibited from hosting any in-person events during university online operations. Student Life and Ministry will work closely with national organizations and chapter advisors to assist in providing support to members during this time. For specific questions, please contact Dale O’Neill, PhD, Director of Student Life and Ministry via email at or by phone at 504.865.3622.

Will I be able to join a Panhellenic Sorority in the fall?

Yes! Student Life and Ministry will be hosting informational sessions about how to join a Panhellenic Sorority (Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Gamma, Gamma Phi Beta, and Theta Phi Alpha) in the fall. These informational sessions will take place through Zoom on Tuesday, August 4 at 6:30 p.m. and Wednesday, August 5 at 11 a.m. 

What about Immersion Programs and Summer Programs?

Currently, all university-related international travel is suspended. Student Life and Ministry will notify students when this restriction is lifted and Immersion programs continue.

Will Mass still be celebrated on campus?

Loyola will continue to offer a live streamed Mass from Ignatius Chapel on Sundays at 10:30 a.m. You can find the link to watch the Mass here. Currently, in-person attendees are limited to those pre-approved by a closed sign-up process.

Students | Wifi Access

What is the Keep Americans Connected Pledge?

AT&T, CenturyLink, Sprint, T-Mobile, and many other carriers have publicly committed to the "Keep Americans Connected Pledge" to ensure customers aren't cut off from communications services during the coronavirus pandemic. This includes no shutoffs, no late fees, and making wifi hotspots available to anyone who needs them.

Learn more about the pledge, which has been extended to June 30. 

Where can I find free wifi access in Louisiana?

The Louisiana Library Network, or LOUIS, worked with data from the Institute of Museum and Library Services, the state library, and public libraries across the state to build a master list of public library locations and details about their wifi access. Clicking on a pin will provide additional access details for each site. They are continuing to update the map as new information comes in. View the map here.

New Orleans residents can also find resources at Scroll down the page to the section on Internet & Cellular Service.

What services is AT&T offering?

AT&T will offer open hot-spots, unlimited data to existing customers, and $10/month plans to low income families. Read the full AT&T update.

What services is Altice USA (Optimum/Suddenlink) offering?

Altice USA is offering free broadband internet to households with K-12 and/or college students who may be displaced due to school closures and who do not currently have home internet access. Read the full Altice USA update.

Eligible households interested in this solution can call: 

  •  866.200.9522 to enroll in Optimum region 
  •  888.633.0030 to enroll in Suddenlink region 

What services is Charter Spectrum Broadband offering?

Charter will offer free broadband and wifi access to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription. To enroll call 844.488.8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households. Read the full Charter update.

What services is Comcast offering?

Comcast will offer free Xfinity wifi hotspots, unlimited data for all customers at no extra charge, no late fees or disconnects, and free Internet Essentials to new low-income customers. Read the full Comcast update.

What services is Cox offering?

Cox will not terminate service to residences or small businesses that are unable to pay their bills due to disruptions caused by the coronavirus. For those affected, Cox will waive late fees as well. Read the full Cox update.

What services is Sprint offering?

Sprint will provide unlimited data to existing customers, and will allow all handsets to enable hot spots at no extra charge. Read the full Sprint update.

What services is T-Mobile offering?

T-Mobile will follow all stipulations in the FCC agreement above, plus unlimited data to existing customers, and, coming soon, will allow all handsets to enable hot spots at no extra charge. Read the full T-Mobile update.

What services is Verizon offering?

Verizon will waive late fees for residential or small businesses that have been impacted by the coronavirus. In addition, the company will not terminate service to any resident or small business because of their inability to pay their bills due to disruptions caused by the coronavirus. Read the full Verizon update.

Students | CARES Act

What is the CARES Act?

The Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security (CARES) Act is the largest relief act in American history and is intended to speed relief across the American economy. It is meant to keep businesses and individuals afloat during an unprecedented freeze on the majority of American life. 

How were CARES Act funds awarded in higher education?

The CARES Act stipulates a funding formula to divide funds among institutions. The formula has two distinct parts:

  1. 75 percent of the funds were awarded based on the institution’s fulltime in-person Pell grant recipients as a share of the national total.
  2. 25 percent of the funds were awarded based on the institution’s fulltime in-person enrollment who are not Pell Grant recipients as a share of the national total.

The monies provided by the CARES Act come with guidelines governing the use of these funds. Specifically, at least 50 percent of the funds must be used to provide direct Emergency Student Aid to students for expenses related to the disruption of campus operations due to the virus. Expenses related to food, housing, course materials, technology, health care and child care are specifically mentioned in the Act. The remaining 50 percent should be used to cover Institutional Expenses, such as lost revenue and costs associated with the transition to distance education.

Read the FAQs provided by the IRS to learn more about how higher education institutions can use provided funds under the CARE Act. 

How much money did Loyola receive?

Loyola received $2,913,258 total, and half of that ($1,456,629) has gone directly to students in the form of emergency student aid grants. The other $1.45 million will be used to cover some of the significant institutional costs associated with the disruption related to the coronavirus. Loyola estimates its losses as of May 1, 2020 to be over $3 million, the majority of which is in the form of refunds/credits of room and board fees.

Click here for a list of the amount received at every college and university in the U.S.

Who is eligible to receive funds?

The federal government stipulated that students studying either part- or full-time in on-ground programs as of March 13 are eligible to receive funds. Students studying in fully online programs prior to March 13 are not eligible. The federal government also stipulates that students must be eligible to receive Title IV funds, such as Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized Loan, Direct Graduate PLUS Loan, Direct PLUS Loan, Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (SEOG), and Federal Perkins Loans, all of which require filing the FAFSA.

How did Loyola select who is eligible to receive money?

Loyola convened a group of administrators from across the institution to develop a process of determining eligibility. Loyola has opted to award $900 in immediate, direct grants to students who have the most need as determined by their Estimated Family Contribution on the FAFSA. Students who filed a FAFSA during the 2019-20 academic year and who had an Estimated Family Contribution of $0 - $5,500 will receive the CARES Act Grant automatically. Approximately 1,100 Loyola undergraduates and 300 graduate and law students met initial eligibility criteria.  

To meet the needs of students who do not meet initial eligibility criteria, Loyola has created an emergency expense fund utilizing the remaining 17 percent (approximately $213,000) of the CARES Act fund to provide access to relief for those students who have expenses related to coronavirus.

How have the funds been distributed?

Students who were determined to be eligible received a notification from the Office of Student Financial Services directing them to a link in Loyola’s LORA system, where they affirmed their eligibility and requested their preferred method of delivery of the grant (U.S. mail or direct deposit). This included eligible undergraduate, graduate, and law students enrolled in face-to-face programs. Eligible students will have until June 1 to let Student Accounts know how they want to receive their grant. After June 1, all grants will be distributed by paper check and delivered by U.S. mail to the address of record. 

A friend of mine at another school is getting $3,000. Why am I getting less, or nothing at all?

Each college or university received different amounts based on a funding formula outlined above. The U.S. Department of Education gave each institution latitude and discretion in determining how to award the grants, but encouraged institutions to make determinations based on financial need. 

Can I receive more than $900 from the CARES Act relief fund?

Unfortunately, no. In trying to maximize equity and help as many students as possible, we have made the determination that the maximum grant cannot exceed $900. 

I filled out the form for the CARES Act Grant for students with financial need due to COVID-19 related expenses, but did not meet the original eligibility requirement. Why didn’t I receive the $900 I requested?

Only students who met initial eligibility requirements were guaranteed the $900 in CARES Act Grants. Loyola received close to 450 requests for the remaining $158,000 in CARES Act funds, and our CARES Act Committee made the determination to award the remaining funds equally across all eligible recipients and give each student $350. Students were informed via email on May 21, 2020.

I tried to apply for the CARES Act Grant. Why did I receive a notice that Loyola is no longer taking applications?

Loyola has distributed all of the $1.45 million dollars in CARES Act Grant funds.  

Why are online students excluded from receiving money from the CARES Act?

Guidance from the federal government suggested that online students were excluded because they experienced less disruption from the move to online instruction, vacating residence halls, etc., due to the coronavirus.

What are acceptable expenses under the CARES Act?

The CARES Act encourages us to help students who have incurred a range of different expenses including, but not limited to:

  • Food
  • Housing and moving expenses (e.g. rent, storage)
  • Technology (e.g. internet, routers, computers, cameras, software)
  • Transportation (e.g. unexpected travel costs)
  • Child care
  • Medical expenses
  • Increased utility costs

Can I use this grant to pay my tuition bill?

Yes, but it must be your choice. Loyola cannot credit your account with the CARES Act grant you receive. You must cash the check and then choose to pay your bill.

I have a computer on loan from Loyola and a hotspot. Can I use this money to buy a computer or wi-fi hotspot?

Technology expenses associated with coronavirus disruption are acceptable expenses. If possible, we strongly recommend that you use your CARES Act grant to make sure you have a reliable computer and wi-fi in the event that Loyola needs to resume online instruction. We cannot ensure that Loyola will have enough loaner computers to meet demand. 

Do I have to keep receipts or provide anything to Loyola?

You do not. Other than filling out the form in LORA for initial grant recipients, or filling in the request for assistance form, you do not have to provide anything to Loyola. 

Is this grant considered taxable?

As of May 7, 2020, the IRS determined that the grants are NOT considered taxable income. Read more here.

Can I donate my funds to someone who needs them more if I do not need this award?

Yes, and thank you. You can refuse the funds if you do not need them, in which case they will be put into the emergency expense fund to help other Loyola students. Please contact Student Financial Services at or call 504.865.3337.

Students | Office of Accessible Education

How will I receive accommodations for the Fall 2020 semester?

The Office of Accessible Education will work with students who have health conditions that require official accommodation. Please contact the Office of Accessible Education if you have any concerns about returning to campus for classes. The OAE works with all colleges to provide all-online schedules where they are needed.

How do I contact my Accessibility Counselor?

Continue to make appointments through the OAE webpage. Your counselor can visit with you via phone, Google Meet, or Zoom. The method for your meeting will be emailed to you via YouCanBookMe.

What housing options will be available for Fall 2020?

Contact your Accessibility Counselor via email/phone to discuss your options for housing.

What if I don’t have a laptop or access to wifi?

Please check Media Services for equipment rentals and review our list of Wifi Access options. Contact the Office of Accessibility at 504.865.2990 to discuss other options.

Can I get an accommodation for a food allergy?

Yes, please email for food accommodations.

Students | International Students & Study Abroad

What is the latest update from the Center for International Education?

On July 24, 2020, SEVP released updated information and it will affect your F-1 student status as follows:

  • For CONTINUING F-1 STUDENTS, it will be permitted to take your classes entirely online as long as you are enrolled in a full-time course load for the semester as usual. You may study either from inside the U.S. (e.g. on Loyola's campus) or alternatively from outside the U.S. (e.g. from your home country). You can, of course, also enroll in HyFlex classes and/or classes that are taught in person. Your SEVIS record will remain active.
  • If you are a NEWLY ADMITTED F-1 STUDENT and are starting your first semester this fall, you are allowed to apply for an F-1 visa and enter the U.S., as long as you are taking at least one class which you are attending in person on campus (this can be a HyFlex class as long as you are attending this class in person and not remotely). If you prefer to enroll in online education only, on the other hand, you would not be allowed to enter the U.S. and you would have to take your classes online from abroad. In this case, our CIE Office will send you a new updated form I-20 with which you can apply for an F-1 student visa for taking classes on campus starting in the spring semester 2021.

If you have questions about your specific situation, please contact For general questions, please refer to the following FAQs.

Do I need a travel endorsement signature from the Center for International Education (CIE) to return to Loyola for the fall or summer term?

Before your trip to return to New Orleans, please, check the Travel Endorsement signature from CIE on page 2 of your form I-20. It needs to be less than 12 months old by the time you will re-enter the U.S. If you need a new signature, please, email CIE ( to receive an updated form I-20. During the pandemic, CIE is sending electronically signed forms I-20 by email which are valid documents.

  • J-1 students would have to contact CIE by email ( regarding a new Travel Validation signature on their form DS-2019.
  • J-1 Scholars/Professors should check their form DS-2019 to see if they need a new travel validation signature. It needs to be less than 12 months old by the time you will re-enter the U.S.

Do I need to report my new address?

In case you move to a different address in the U.S., please, update your U.S. address in your LORA account as soon as possible and at the latest within 10 days of your move. (Go to "Personal Info -> Addresses".) Also, please, email your new address to as well.

Where can I find information about res life and dining services? 

Please carefully review the different sections of this FAQ:

Will I have to quarantine when I travel to Loyola from outside the United States?

There is no mandatory self-quarantine for new arrivals in Louisiana, and Loyola does not have a mandatory quarantine policy. Get more information about Loyola's COVID-19 prevention plan

Does my LewerMark Health Plan cover COVID-19 related cases?

If you are enrolled in the Loyola health insurance plan provided by the LewerMark Health Insurance, you can find essential information on the coverage for COVID-19 related cases on our CIE website.

How can I reach CIE?

CIE remains open and you will primarily be able to communicate with us by email: 

I want to make an appointment to talk with an advisor about Study Abroad. How does that work now?

We will continue to accept appointment requests via our Study Abroad portal. Whether with Peer Advisors or CIE staff, all appointments will be conducted remotely via phone or other videoconference systems. If you request an appointment, please include 1) your preferred method of connecting and 2) your corresponding contact info. Otherwise, the appointment will be conducted via Zoom. Click here to make an appointment.

How do I find the most up-to-date information regarding my program’s status?

Check your Loyola email regularly for communications from CIE. You are also more than welcome to reach out to Wyatt Boykin (Study Abroad Advisor) or Mariette Thomas (CIE Director) with any questions or concerns.

How do I find the most up-to-date information regarding my host country’s travel advisory status?

Please pay close attention to your host country’s travel advisory status through the WHO, the CDC, and the U.S. Department of State.

What does my Study Abroad insurance cover?

If you receive insurance coverage through Loyola (LewerMark), you can get policy details and directions on how to access your benefits here. If you receive insurance coverage through ISEP, you can get policy details here. If you receive insurance coverage through your host country or host program, you must check with your policy provider.

What is the status of my Fall program?

All Fall 2020 study abroad programs have been canceled at this time. Loyola will review petitions for exceptions to the study abroad cancellation in cases where studying abroad  would not increase risk to a student's health and safety. Please contact your study abroad advisor if you plan to petition for an exception.

What is the status of my Spring 2021 program?

Currently, your program is still scheduled to run as planned. However, we strongly urge you to register for Spring 2021 classes here at Loyola. In the event that your programs are canceled before the Spring, you will have a backup plan in place. Furthermore, if you are planning to participate in an ISEP or non-Loyola program, CIE strongly urges you to clarify the terms of refund as soon as possible.

Does CIE have a final decision date for Spring 2021?

Unfortunately, the pandemic situation is fluid. Our plan is to periodically reassess the outlook for Spring 2021 programs. Following these reassessments, CIE will send out an update email to all outbound students.

I am still working on my Spring 2021 Study Abroad application. How has this process changed now that the office is remote?

CIE will continue to conduct the application procedures as normal, with the following exceptions:

  • Course Approval Forms can now be accepted via email. We will now accept approval emails in place of signatures. These approval emails should be addressed to Wyatt and must come directly from the person granting approval.
  • Study Abroad interviews will be conducted via videoconference.

I have a question that is not answered here. Who do I contact?

Please reach out first to either Mariette Thomas (CIE Director) or Wyatt Boykin (Study Abroad Advisor) with any questions that are not explicitly addressed here.