If my doctor has given me personal health information documentation (PHI) to provide to my employer, where do I send it?
You will send it directly to Human Resources only. You may have it faxed to 504.864.7100 or contact the main HR phone number, 504.864.7757, for alternative directions.
For benefits questions, you may call Crystal Thomas at 504.864.7027.
How do I contact Human Resources?
If I have a major financial need due to COVID-19 and my only emergency source is my contributions in the University Main Retirement Plan, can I make a withdrawal or take a distribution?
Yes, you may do so if you meet the CARES Act criteria listed below.
- You, your spouse, or dependent has been diagnosed with the coronavirus (i.e., SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19),
- You have experienced adverse financial consequences because you have been quarantined, furloughed, laid off, or have had work hours reduced due to the coronavirus,
- You are unable to work because of a lack of child care due to the coronavirus,
- You own or operate a business and have had to close or reduce hours due to the coronavirus, or
- You have experienced an adverse financial consequence due to other factors as provided in guidance issued by the Internal Revenue Service.
I need to borrow from my retirement plan for an emergency. Can and how do I do that?
There are no loan provisions on the Main Plan, but you can withdraw or take a distribution from the Main Plan if you meet the criteria listed above under the CARES Act. To make a withdrawal or distribution, you would contact TIAA at 800.842.2776. If you do not meet the CARES Act criteria, you can still contact TIAA at 800.842.2776 to borrow against your account in the Supplemental Retirement Plan which does permit loans.
How do I make the CARES Act withdrawal or distribution?
You should contact TIAA at 800-842-2776 for assistance.