Return to Campus

Visit our FAQ website for the latest information about health and safety.

Back to Top

Employees | Operational FAQs | Benefits

What happens to my benefits if I become sick or am caring for a sick family member?

As usual, your benefits continue based on your employment.

What happens to my benefits while I am working remotely?

As usual, your benefits continue based on your employment.

If my doctor has given me personal health information documentation (PHI) to provide to my employer, where do I send it?

You will send it directly to Human Resources only. You may have it faxed to 504.864.7100 or contact the main HR phone number, 504.864.7757, for alternative directions. 

For benefits questions, you may call Crystal Thomas at 504.864.7027.

How do I contact Human Resources?

HR can be contacted by phone or email during regular business hours.

If I have a major financial need due to COVID-19 and my only emergency source is my contributions in the University Main Retirement Plan, can I make a withdrawal or take a distribution?

Yes, you may do so if you meet the CARES Act criteria listed below.

  • You, your spouse, or dependent has been diagnosed with the coronavirus (i.e., SARS-CoV-2 or COVID-19),
  • You have experienced adverse financial consequences because you have been quarantined, furloughed, laid off, or have had work hours reduced due to the coronavirus,
  • You are unable to work because of a lack of child care due to the coronavirus,
  • You own or operate a business and have had to close or reduce hours due to the coronavirus, or
  • You have experienced an adverse financial consequence due to other factors as provided in guidance issued by the Internal Revenue Service.

I need to borrow from my retirement plan for an emergency. Can and how do I do that?

There are no loan provisions on the Main Plan, but you can withdraw or take a distribution from the Main Plan if you meet the criteria listed above under the CARES Act. To make a withdrawal or distribution, you would contact TIAA at 800.842.2776. If you do not meet the CARES Act criteria, you can still contact TIAA at 800.842.2776 to borrow against your account in the Supplemental Retirement Plan which does permit loans.

How do I make the CARES Act withdrawal or distribution?

You should contact TIAA at 800-842-2776 for assistance.

Employees | Operational FAQs | Payroll

If I am working remotely, how will I be paid?

As usual, you will continue to record your hours through EWS and receive payment through direct deposit.

What if I am working remotely and become sick or need to care for a sick family member and am unable to work, how will I be paid?

As usual, you would record sick or family sick time on your timesheet through EWS.

If I become ill or need to care for a sick family member for three consecutive days or more, what do I do?

Contact Heather Blanchard in Human Resources at or 504.864.7896 to determine if there are any other leave regulations or policies, including FMLA, which may apply to your situation.

How will holidays and liberal leave days be handled?

We expect holidays and liberal leave days to be handled as usual in your department.

For payroll/timesheet questions, call Erica Hicks at 504.864.7343.

Employees | Operational FAQs | Purchasing/Central Receiving/Post Office

Will purchase orders still be processed?

Yes. Purchasing staff will continue to source and buy goods and services for the university, albeit remotely.

How will purchase orders be handled?

Purchase orders will be batched and printed once per week for processing.

What if I need to buy something with a purchase order more quickly than that?

Please contact Lisa Kibler ( or David Young ( for assistance. Purchasing also has the ability to issue a digital PO.

Will Central Receiving be open?

Yes. As some departments will continue to be on campus, Central Receiving will be supporting operations and accepting packages. Hours of operation will be Monday/Wednesday/Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. 

Will the Post Office be open?

The main campus post office will be open Monday – Friday: 8:30 a.m. – 4 p.m. 

For specific questions about a package, contact the post office at 504.865.2130 or email

I’m now working from home. If I need to purchase a good and do not want to come to campus to get the package, what can I do?

In general, the university will be relaxing its purchasing rules to accommodate this extraordinary event and allow for greater flexibility in personal purchases of goods. Please reach out to Lisa Kibler (, David Young ( or Robert Nelson ( for assistance and advisement if you face such a situation.

I have booked travel through Concur and need to cancel. What should I do?

Please reach out to Sandra Pierre-Kazi ( with your travel details and she will work with our travel agency to cancel or rebook your flight/hotel/car rental.

I ordered something that I will no longer need. Can I cancel my order?

Please contact Lisa Kibler ( or David Young ( immediately with your purchase order number. We additionally ask all staff and faculty to review if any upcoming purchases or contracts will be needed in light of the university moving to a remote work and teaching environment through the end of the spring semester.

Employees | Operational FAQs | Employment

How do I know if I am considered essential on-campus personnel and am required to report to campus?

Your supervisor will notify you if you are essential personnel and the attendance requirements for your position.

How do I know if I can be on campus?

Your immediate supervisor will notify you of the specific attendance requirements for your position.

If my position cannot be performed remotely what will the university do?

The university will work with you to determine if there are other job duties you can perform to continue working.

If I am not deemed essential on-campus personnel can I still come to campus to work?

No, unless your supervisor has notified you that you are required on-campus you will be working remotely. Special circumstances should be discussed with your supervisor.

While working remotely, how will I communicate with my supervisor and/or team?

Your supervisor will establish communication protocols for you and your team. This may include a variety of appropriate technologies including: email, Zoom videoconferencing, Google Hangouts, text, phone calls, and/or other software or apps (i.e. Slack, GroupMe).

If I am contacted by my supervisor, am I required to respond?

Yes, if your supervisor contacts you, you are required to respond during the regular work day. During an urgent situation you may need to respond outside of your regular work day.

I’m scheduled to take vacation, what will happen now?

As per policy, you will take your pre-approved vacation as usual, unless there has been a necessary change based on university needs. Standard departmental procedures apply. Speak with your supervisor about any concerns. Your vacation time would be recorded on your timesheet.

My supervisor said my job is essential to campus operations and it cannot be completed at home. I would prefer to work remotely. What should I do?

Your supervisor has the responsibility to ensure that your department’s services continue to be provided for the campus community. While all have been asked to be as accommodating to working remotely as possible, there are positions whose responsibilities would necessitate being on campus. If you have discussed your preferences with your supervisor and they have declined your request to work remotely, the decision has been made. If you feel there are extenuating circumstances to your situation that are not being considered, including concerns regarding your personal health condition or that of a close family member, please contact HR to discuss.    

Am I allowed to travel domestically and work from there?

Time dedicated to personal travel should be noted as vacation time. Also keep in mind that when working remotely you are expected to be available to communicate via phone and internet at any time during the normally scheduled work day. In certain circumstances, an employee may also be required to report to campus.

Will I need to use my cell phone instead of my office phone? 

A working phone at your remote work location is required. You can use a personal cell or landline. Our desk phones offer a call forwarding option and your office voicemail can be accessed remotely. Please see the IT Resources page for more details. 

What if I need office supplies or other equipment?

Employees can bring home needed office supplies to support their required duties during this time. The university is also allowing employees to bring home their office computers and IT will provide VPN. Please remember that you are responsible for the privacy and security of sensitive data when working remotely. View our Policy on Responsible Use of University Computing Resources.

Employees | Operational FAQs | Financial Affairs

Will the university continue to process payment requests?

Yes, payment requests will be processed weekly.

How will payments for reimbursements and vendor services be processed?

  1. Faculty, Staff and Students should submit their reimbursement requests through Concur Solutions:

  2. Payments to vendors for executed services should be submitted using this online check request form:

  3. Purchase orders requisitions may still be submitted through the FRS. Payments to vendors who submit their invoices to will be reviewed and processed as necessary.

If this is a COVID-related expense, please include the following with your payment request:

  • Concur: Include COVID in the comment section of the expenses statement header
  • Purchase Requisition: Include a text line referencing COVID
  • Electronic Check Request: Include reference to COVID in the description section

When will payments be distributed?

All payments will be mailed. There will be no on-campus pick up location. Please ensure that a current address is included on all requests for payment. All payment questions should be directed to Tootie Buisson (, Jean Augustin (, Robin Rupp (, Daniella Solorzano (, or Cathy Roy (

How can I view my billing statement?

All student tuition billing statements can be viewed in the e-Commerce system. You can access the e-Commerce system from your LORA account.

Can I speak to a Bursar’s Office representative during normal business hours?

Yes, you can speak with a Bursar’s representative by calling 504.865.2388. Calls will be answered Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m.–4:00 p.m. (CST). You can also send an email to and we will respond to your email.

How can I make a tuition payment?

Tuition payments can be made online via our e-Commerce system with an electronic check (free service). All that is needed is your financial institutions routing number and your checking or savings account information. Credit card payments are only accepted online as the e-Commerce provider charges a non-refundable 2.85% fee.

Can I mail in a tuition payment?

You can mail in a non-cash tuition payment to the Bursar’s Office directly. Our mailing address is:

6363 St. Charles Avenue
Campus Box 78
New Orleans, LA 70118

Your check payment will be safely secured at the university until we return to campus to post your payment.

How can I receive a copy of my 1098-T?

Students can contact ECSI for their tax document. If you prefer you can call them directly at 1-866-428-1098. Live CHAT is also available.