Face Mask/Covering Requirements:
In accordance with the City of New Orleans, all students, faculty, and staff MUST wear face coverings in public areas while on campus to reduce transmission of COVID-19. Through a generous donation by the parents of a Loyola student, all Loyola faculty, staff, and students will be provided with one free Loyola-branded face covering that can be worn on campus.
- Effective immediately, Loyola requires all individuals to wear a face mask covering their nose and mouth while in all buildings except when that individual is alone (e.g., private offices or residence hall rooms).
- Individuals are strongly encouraged to wear masks while outside, especially if that individual is interacting with others, even in the proper socially distanced manner (see Social Distancing section).
- Wearing a mask/covering is NOT a substitute for social distancing, and individuals must maintain proper distancing while on campus.
- Individuals who cannot wear a face mask because of health reasons or functional reasons should contact Human Resources (faculty and staff) or the Office of Accessible Education (students) to determine other accommodations.
- Failure to comply with health directives and policies will result in sanctions.
Types of Masks/Coverings:
|Cloth Mask/Covering||Disposable Mask/Covering||Surgical Mask (medical-grade)||N95 Respirator|
|Made with multiple layers of fabric to help contain respiratory droplets. Washed and reused multiple times and may be handmade or commercially made.||Thin, flexible commercially-made masks that help contain respiratory droplets. Worn once and disposed of after use.||Higher-grade disposable masks that help contain respiratory droplets and protect the wearer from splashes or large-particle droplets.||Masks that are fit and seal-tested on the face to filter pathogens in the air and contain the wearer’s respiratory emissions.|
|Acceptable option to meet the face mask requirements.||Acceptable option to meet the face mask requirements.||Reserved for healthcare workers and approved high-hazard tasks.||Reserved for healthcare workers and approved high-hazard tasks.|
Wearing Face Masks/Coverings:
Follow these steps to safely put on, wear, and remove a face mask/covering.
- Wash hands thoroughly or apply hand sanitizer before touching the mask/covering.
- The mask/covering should fit snugly against the face, covering the nose and mouth and securing under the chin.
- Tie the straps of your mask/covering around the head and neck, or use loops that fit securely around ears.
- Wearers should be able to breathe without restriction while wearing the mask/covering.
- Avoid touching the front of the mask/covering while wearing it.
- When removing the mask, avoid touching eyes, nose, or mouth. Individuals should wash their hands immediately after removing the face covering.
Cleaning and Caring for Face Masks/Coverings:
Cloth masks/coverings must be properly laundered and stored between each use. Disposable masks should only be used one time and properly discarded once removed.
- Cloth masks/coverings should be washed with regular clothing detergent and machine dried after each use.
- Masks/coverings that visibly change shape or size after laundering, or those that are ripped/torn/stretched/soiled from wear, should be discarded.
- When the mask/covering is not being used, fold it with the side that goes toward the mouth folded inwards and store it in a clean container or bag.
- Loyola recommends having a weeklong supply of face masks/coverings to avoid the need to launder masks daily.
For more guidance on the proper use and cleaning of your face mask, visit Mask Up Louisiana.