Back to Top

Students | International Students & Study Abroad

What is the latest update from the Center for International Education?

On April 26, 2021, SEVP and the U.S. Department of State released updated information and it will affect the F-1 or J-1 student status of our international students as follows:

  • For CONTINUING F-1 STUDENTS, you will be permitted to take more than one course online as long as you are enrolled in a full-time course load for the semester as usual.
  • If you are a NEWLY ADMITTED F-1 or J-1 STUDENT and are starting your first semester at Loyola, you are allowed to apply for an F-1 visa and enter the U.S., as long as you are taking at least one class which you are attending in person on campus. If you prefer to enroll in online education only, on the other hand, you would not be allowed to enter the U.S. and you would have to take your classes online from abroad.

These accommodations will remain available until Loyola will have completed its return to normal operations entirely.

As Loyola plans to offer the vast majority of courses on campus, given the substantial success of vaccination efforts in the U.S. and in New Orleans, please, note that, in general, international students will be expected to take their classes in person.

Loyola is aware that some international students might still be faced with ongoing complications due to the pandemic, such as rapidly changing travel restrictions, limited travel options, unforeseen COVID-19 outbreaks abroad, and reduced U.S. consular services.

In case you come to the conclusion that it will be increasingly difficult for you as an international student to attend your classes in person, please, reach out to the Associate Dean's office of your college and to our Center for International Education as early as possible. That will allow us to assist you efficiently and to find the class schedule and format that will work best for you.

If you have questions about your specific situation, please contact For general questions, please refer to the following FAQs.

Do I need to report my new address?

In case you move to a different address in the U.S., please, update your U.S. address in your LORA account as soon as possible and at the latest within 10 days of your move. (Go to "Personal Info -> Addresses".) Also, please, email your new address to as well.

Do I need a travel endorsement signature from the Center for International Education (CIE) to return to Loyola for the fall or summer term?

Before your trip to return to New Orleans, please, check the Travel Endorsement signature from CIE on page 2 of your form I-20. It needs to be less than 12 months old by the time you will re-enter the U.S. If you need a new signature, please, email CIE ( to receive an updated form I-20. During the pandemic, CIE is sending electronically signed forms I-20 by email which are valid documents.

  • J-1 students would have to contact CIE by email ( regarding a new Travel Validation signature on their form DS-2019.
  • J-1 Scholars/Professors should check their form DS-2019 to see if they need a new travel validation signature. It needs to be less than 12 months old by the time you will re-enter the U.S.

Where can I find information about res life and dining services? 

Please carefully review the different sections of this FAQ:

Will I have to quarantine when I travel to Loyola from outside the United States?

There is no mandatory self-quarantine for new arrivals in Louisiana, and Loyola does not have a mandatory quarantine policy. Get more information about Loyola's COVID-19 prevention plan

Does my LewerMark Health Plan cover COVID-19 related cases?

If you are enrolled in the Loyola health insurance plan provided by the LewerMark Health Insurance, you can find essential information on the coverage for COVID-19 related cases on our CIE website.

COVID-19 testing without symptoms or exposure is covered under the 'Wellness Benefit' of the LewerMark plan.

COVID-19 testing with symptoms, as well as treatment of COVID-19 illnesses, are included in the general coverage for illnesses.

How can I reach CIE?

CIE remains open and you will primarily be able to communicate with us by email: 

  • You can reach Dittmar Dittrich, the Assistant Director for International Student & Scholar Services, by:

I want to make an appointment to talk with an advisor about Study Abroad. How does that work now?

We will continue to accept appointment requests via our Study Abroad portal. Whether with Peer Advisors or CIE staff, appointments can be in person or conducted remotely via Zoom or phone or in person. Click here to make an appointment.

How do I find the most up-to-date information regarding my program’s status?

Check your Loyola email regularly for communications from CIE. You are also more than welcome to reach out to Parjest Thevenard (Study Abroad Advisor) or Mariette Thomas (CIE Director) with any questions or concerns.

Unless you have heard otherwise from your host institution and/or CIE, your program is scheduled to run and you should continue preparing accordingly. We will continue to monitor the COVID-19 situation closely and we are looking forward to continuing to run study abroad programs as planned. Please note: Program start dates are subject to change based on Loyola's response to the COVID-19 pandemic and any restrictions or safety measures imposed by host country governments. Loyola reserves the right to change the itinerary of activities for a program or cancel a program entirely at any time. Participants will be notified of any such changes.

How do I find the most up-to-date information regarding my host country’s travel advisory status?

Please pay close attention to your host country’s travel advisory status through the WHO, the CDC, and the U.S. Department of State.

What does my Study Abroad insurance cover?

If you receive insurance coverage through Loyola (LewerMark), you can get policy details and directions on how to access your benefits here. If you receive insurance coverage through ISEP, you can get policy details here. If you receive insurance coverage through your host country or host program, you must check with your policy provider.

How has the study abroad application process changed?

CIE will continue to conduct the application procedures as normal, with the following exceptions:

  • Completed Course Approval Forms can now be accepted via email, and we will now accept approval emails in place of signatures. These approval emails should be addressed to Parjest and must come directly from the person granting approval.
  • Study Abroad interviews will be conducted via Zoom.
  • Students are required to upload proof of COVID-19 vaccination or submit a request for vaccination exemption for study abroad. 

What is Loyola's essential travel policy and how does it apply to students that wish to study abroad?

Vaccinated faculty, staff, and students may travel on University business if the travel is essential. Essential travel includes student travel that is for an academic purpose that is necessary and cannot be postponed or handled remotely (i.e., for graduation, academic progress, research experience, etc.).

Can unvaccinated students participate in essential travel?

If an unvaccinated individual seeks to travel on University business or for University purposes, such a request must be submitted to the Provost for consideration and approval. Such individuals may be subject to additional travel restrictions and testing requirements prior to returning to campus consistent with the Centers for Disease Control guidelines. Contact for more information. 

What virtual program options are available?

Students interested in an international experience during the COVID-19 pandemic may wish to consider a virtual study abroad and/or virtual international internship program. The following exciting opportunities are available. 

Virtual programs have lower costs than traditional study abroad and are accessible to a wide range of students. Choosing a virtual study abroad or international internship program shows initiative and a vital interest in global perspectives. You will still benefit from an international experience through online courses and/or your internship placement. You'll add important professional skills to your resume like cross-cultural communication and flexibility. 

I have a question that is not answered here. Who do I contact?

Please contact either Parjest Thevenard or Mariette Thomas with any questions that are not explicitly addressed on this page.