How do I get help using Zoom?
What is the policy for accessing Loyola IT resources remotely?
Please review the Policy on Responsible Use of University Computing Resources Addendum for Covid-19:
Accessing some University resources through the Internet off campus may require a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection to do so. This does 2 things: it guarantees that the communication will be encrypted and that you are using a University IP address.
For security reasons Loyola will not allow VPN access on anything other than a Loyola owned device. We must make sure that the device has an Anti-Virus software that is up to date and that the hard drive is encrypted. For this reason Loyola is allowing users to take their Desktop machines home. However, call the help desk at x2255 because we need to install the VPN and we will encrypt the hard drive. You also must check with your supervisor, Chair or Dean.
Contact the Help Desk at 504.865.2255 or email them at firstname.lastname@example.org.
What if I am not getting Google Group’s emails?
If you’re not getting emails from your group, check your email delivery setting:
- Sign in to Google Groups.
- Click My Groups.
- The groups you are a member of will be listed. Students should be in email@example.com (all students except law and online), firstname.lastname@example.org (law students), or email@example.com (online students).
- In the email delivery preference column, make sure Every new message is selected for each group.
How can I get help accessing the VPN?
For anyone who needs assistance accessing the VPN, please call the IT help desk at 504.865.2255. We have technicians manning the phones during normal business hours, and we are checking messages even on the weekends. You can also leave an urgent message and someone will be paged. If you need to leave a message we will call you back ASAP.
How can I view messages previously sent to a Google Group?
You can view messages previously sent to a Google Group:
- Sign in to Google Groups.
- Click My Groups.
- Click the group name for the group for which you wish to see previously viewed messages.
- Previously sent messages or “posts” will appear.
- Click the message you wish to view to see the original email
How can I use Windows ShoreTel Communicator to forward calls?
Follow the instructions in this guide:
How can I use Windows ShoreTel Communicator to transfer calls to my cell?
How can I use Windows ShoreTel Communicator website to transfer calls to my cell?
How do I know if I need to use the VPN or not?
Follow this guide:
How can I check my Loyola voicemail remotely?
Use this guide:
What features are available through Google Meet?
Google Meet is offering Premium Features available for free through July 1, 2020. Access features like hosting larger meetings (up to 250 participants), live streaming, and recording. Learn how with this tutorial.
What cybersecurity best practices should I be following?
Cybercriminals are still active, and it is important for all of us to take extra steps to protect ourselves while working remotely. Here are some tips to keep your information safe.
- Be extremely cautious when checking any email, even your Loyola email. If a message contains a call to action, particularly one asking you to log in or to install some software, use another means to verify the claim—the phone or an alternate email address. You can also contact colleagues and see whether they’ve received similar emails or directly get in touch with your company’s IT department and ask if it has sent such an email.
- Start using 2-factor or multi-factor authentication (2FA/MFA). This adds another layer of security to confirm your identity when you log on. For example, when you log in to your bank, they can send a verification code to your cell phone for you to confirm you are the one logging in. It is highly recommended that you turn this on for your loyno Google account to protect your email and Drive files. We also recommend turning this on for online banking and other financial accounts, as well as the email accounts you use to log into these services.
- If you have more than one laptop or workstation, dedicate one of them to work. Don’t use your work laptop for personal communications and web browsing. If that is not possible, be very careful about the websites you visit.
- Any Loyola provided computer will already have Antivirus protection set up. Make sure any other device you are using also has an antivirus program installed and updated. A good free one is AVG.
- Phones: There are Antivirus programs for Android phones. AVG has a free one. iPhone and iPad do not need antivirus but keep IOS updated.
- Windows PCs come with a Firewall turned on already.
- On a MAC you may need to turn it on. Turn on firewall protection.
- In your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click Firewall.
- Click the lock icon 🔒 to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.
- Click Turn On Firewall.
If you have any questions about any of these tips, please contact the Help Desk at 504.865.2255. And if you believe you may have been deceived by a phishing scam, please call us immediately.
For additional questions and issues, please contact the IT department directly:
- Help Desk: 504.865.2255
- Telecommunications: 504.865.2345
- Web Based Services