Return to Campus

Visit our FAQ website for the latest information about health and safety.

Back to Top

Employees | General Questions for Employees

If I become sick, what do I do and who do I notify?

All faculty, staff, and students are expected to report potential exposure, symptoms, or a positive COVID-19 test result using the Public Health Portal through SSO in your "Quick Links" section. 

Additionally, we recommend that Loyola employees feeling symptoms of COVID-19 contact their health provider or call the Ochsner COVID info hotline 24/7 at 844.888.2772 for free nursing advice. If your illness prevents you from working, notify your supervisor or department chair that you will be absent for the day.

If I am notified that I have had contact with someone with a presumptive or confirmed case of COVID-19, what do I do and who do I notify?

If you believe that you have been exposed to or have COVID-19, contact your health provider or call the Ochsner COVID info hotline 24/7 at 844.888.2772. You should report your exposure using the Public Health Portal through SSO. Both vaccinated and unvaccinated employees should report exposure on the portal.  

If my child’s school or care provider is closed or unavailable due to health concerns, and I am considered essential on-campus personnel, can I work remotely?

Depending on your position, your department may be able to support your ability to work remotely. Notify your supervisor and discuss the options for working remotely.

If my child’s school or care provider is closed or unavailable due to health concerns, can I use sick time?

Yes, you can use sick time to care for your dependents. In EWS, this is entered as family sick on your timesheet.

If I have a family member that becomes sick that I have had close physical contact with, what do I do and who do I notify?

If you believe that you have been exposed to or have COVID-19, contact your health provider or call the Ochsner COVID info hotline 24/7 at 844.888.2772 for free nursing advice. You should report your exposure using the Public Health Portal through SSO.

What do I do if I have problems with my Loyola-owned computer or laptop?

Call the help desk at 504.865.2255, email, or submit a ticket with IT Client Services.

How do I check my voicemail remotely?

Dial 504.865.2000. You will be prompted to enter your extension and voicemail password.

How do I access the Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for faculty and staff?

You can call 1.800.955.6422 or go to To access the online services, you will need to use the following:

  • Username: Loyola 
  • Password: eap

More information about EAP services is available here.

While we are all working remotely our needs for printing are minimal, but what do we do if we have bulk printing or shipping needs?

Any special printing or shipping needs should be referred to Lisa Kibler in Purchasing at or 504.865.3189.

I am paying for parking but we are not able to park on campus. Will I be reimbursed?

Parking deductions have resumed with our return to campus. Please check the Parking Services website for more information.

I read that all employees are expected to complete a health assessment. How will I track any symptoms?

We are now utilizing the Medicat Public Health Portal through SSO to assist employees in self monitoring their health. Faculty and staff will ONLY report using the Public Health Portal through SSO when symptomatic, or if they have tested positive for COVID, or have been exposed to COVID.

How will you maintain employee privacy with the use of the health screening app?

Information security is a very important aspect of businesses/schools continuing to function effectively. Universities across the nation are utilizing similar resources. The software is very important to assist employees in self monitoring their health on a daily basis, but it is also very important for the employer (Loyola) to be able to monitor the health and safety of our employees and of the campus. 

Ensuring a safe workplace is not only the right thing to do, but it is also a federal requirement under OSHA. Additionally, other federal regulations related to FMLA and ADA also require that we take the appropriate and timely steps with employees who become sick. With that, yes, the software will provide very specific individuals in Human Resources and COVID public health coordinators with the data provided on a daily basis so that we can meet our obligations to do everything we can to provide a safe workplace and to ensure those employees who are ill can be afforded all of the benefits available to them (which then ensures compliance with other federal regulations). 

The information is treated as Protected Health Information (PHI) as it always has been. Supervisors do not have access to the information. Notification that someone has been diagnosed with the virus via the software will also ensure that we are able to contact trace on campus, self quarantine those individuals who were in close contact with the employee or student (without ever divulging who was diagnosed), and ensure that the appropriate sanitization protocols are conducted on campus.

If I do not have a smartphone, will I still be able to complete the daily health assessment?

You no longer need to report your daily health assessment results. You may access the Public Health Portal to report symptoms, illness, or exposure through SSO at any time.

If I am still working from home, am I still required to complete the health assessment through SSO?

Yes, we are ONLY asking all employees to report symptoms, exposure or illness regardless if they are working from home, in the office, or in a hybrid format.

Requests for Reasonable Accommodations:

Department heads and supervisors will refer employee requests for reasonable accommodation to Human Resources which will follow the University policy 2-4, Employees with Disabilities. HR, in conjunction with medical experts as needed, will determine reasonable and necessary accommodations. HR will work with departments to implement any reasonable and necessary accommodations in a fair and consistent manner. Information related to accommodation requests, medical conditions, and/or disability-related issues, including information relating to potential COVID-19 diagnoses or quarantines, must be kept confidential, per university policy.

Non-Discrimination Policy:

Department heads and supervisors are reminded not to discriminate on any unlawful basis, including in the assignment of work, decisions regarding working remotely, disciplinary matters, scheduling, or other terms and conditions of employment. Throughout this time there may be a heightened risk from COVID-19 to certain populations, such as older persons and persons with underlying medical conditions, department heads and supervisors should not assume that any class of employees or any employee in particular is any less capable of performing work under the current circumstances.

Prohibited Medical Inquiries and Opinions:

Under applicable law, supervisors and department heads generally cannot inquire about employees’ medical conditions, diagnoses, or treatment. This includes instructing employees to seek medical care or requiring employees to monitor their temperature for fever. However, department heads and supervisors may ask employees about symptoms of COVID-19 because of the direct threat it poses to the workplace. If you believe an employee is exhibiting such symptoms, contact Human Resources immediately. Supervisors and department heads must refrain from offering medical opinions. Information regarding COVID-19 and the university’s emergency response official sources and posted on the Loyola coronavirus information page and will be provided in official communications. 

Requesting an employee’s vaccination status, as a yes or no question, is allowed. This information allows managers to appropriately apply mandated health and safety requirements in the workplace.

Refusal to Work Due to COVID-19:

If an individual refuses to report to work, department heads and supervisors should contact Human Resources. The University will attempt to determine the reason for the individual’s refusal to work. If the individual or family member has been diagnosed with or exposed to COVID-19, the university will follow the process in place at this time. If the employee indicates a need for a potential accommodation, please refer the employee to Human Resources.

If the employee’s refusal to work is made on a different basis, the university will attempt to determine if there is a health and safety issue or other legitimate concern that may need to be addressed.  In the event that the university determines that there is no imminent danger that needs to be addressed, the employee may be required to report to work, may be permitted to use available and appropriate paid time off, or may be granted unpaid leave at the university’s discretion. If an employee is required to report to work and does not do so, then department heads and supervisors should consult with Human Resources to determine whether disciplinary action is appropriate.

Employees | IT Help

How do I get help using Zoom?

If you need assistance using Zoom, please complete this form. You can also explore this list of resources provided by the Center for Faculty Innovation, as well as the Zoom Help Page. If you're just getting started on Zoom, we recommend this basic tutorial video from Erin Dupuis.

What is the policy for accessing Loyola IT resources remotely?

Please review the Policy on Responsible Use of University Computing Resources Addendum for COVID-19: Accessing some university resources through the internet off campus may require a VPN (Virtual Private Network) connection to do so. This does two things: it guarantees that the communication will be encrypted and that you are using a University IP address.

For security reasons Loyola will not allow VPN access on anything other than a Loyola owned device. We must make sure that the device has an Anti-Virus software that is up to date and that the hard drive is encrypted. For this reason Loyola is allowing users to take their Desktop machines home. However, call the help desk at x2255 because we need to install the VPN and we will encrypt the hard drive. You also must check with your supervisor, chair, or dean.

Contact the Help Desk at 504.865.2255 or email them at

What if I am not getting Google Group’s emails?

If you’re not getting emails from your group, check your email delivery setting:

  1. Sign in to Google Groups.
  2. Click My Groups.
  3. The groups you are a member of will be listed. Students should be in (all students except law and online), (law students), or (online students).
  4. In the email delivery preference column, make sure Every new message is selected for each group.

How can I get help accessing the VPN?

For anyone who needs assistance accessing the VPN, please call the IT help desk at 504.865.2255. We have technicians manning the phones during normal business hours, and we are checking messages even on the weekends. You can also leave an urgent message and someone will be paged. If you need to leave a message IT will call you back ASAP.

How can I view messages previously sent to a Google Group?

You can view messages previously sent to a Google Group: 

  1. Sign in to Google Groups. 
  2. Click My Groups. 
  3. Click the group name for the group for which you wish to see previously viewed messages. 
  4. Previously sent messages or “posts” will appear. 
  5. Click the message you wish to view to see the original email

How can I use Windows ShoreTel Communicator to forward calls?

How can I use Windows ShoreTel Communicator to transfer calls to my cell?

How can I use Windows ShoreTel Communicator website to transfer calls to my cell?

How do I know if I need to use the VPN or not?

Follow this guide:

To VPN or not VPN

How can I check my Loyola voicemail remotely?

What cybersecurity best practices should I be following?

Cybercriminals are still active, and it is important for all of us to take extra steps to protect ourselves while working remotely. Here are some tips to keep your information safe.

  1. Be extremely cautious when checking any email, even your Loyola email. If a message contains a call to action, particularly one asking you to log in or to install some software, use another means to verify the claim—the phone or an alternate email address. You can also contact colleagues and see whether they’ve received similar emails or directly get in touch with your company’s IT department and ask if it has sent such an email.
  2. Start using 2-factor or multi-factor authentication (2FA/MFA). This adds another layer of security to confirm your identity when you log on. For example, when you log in to your bank, they can send a verification code to your cell phone for you to confirm you are the one logging in. It is highly recommended that you turn this on for your loyno Google account to protect your email and Drive files. We also recommend turning this on for online banking and other financial accounts, as well as the email accounts you use to log into these services.
  3. If you have more than one laptop or workstation, dedicate one of them to work. Don’t use your work laptop for personal communications and web browsing. If that is not possible, be very careful about the websites you visit.
  4. Any Loyola provided computer will already have Antivirus protection set up. Make sure any other device you are using also has an antivirus program installed and updated. A good free one is AVG.
  5. Phones: There are Antivirus programs for Android phones. AVG has a free one. iPhone and iPad do not need antivirus but keep IOS updated.
  6. Windows PCs come with a Firewall turned on already.
  7. On a MAC you may need to turn it on. Turn on firewall protection.
    • In your Mac, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Security & Privacy, then click Firewall.
    • Click the lock icon 🔒 to unlock it, then enter an administrator name and password.
    • Click Turn On Firewall.

If you have any questions about any of these tips, please contact the Help Desk at 504.865.2255. And if you believe you may have been deceived by a phishing scam, please call us immediately.

For additional questions and issues, please contact the IT department directly:

Employees | Operational FAQs | Payroll

What if I am working remotely and become sick or need to care for a sick family member and am unable to work, how will I be paid?

As usual, you would record sick or family sick time on your timesheet through EWS.

If I become ill or need to care for a sick family member for three consecutive days or more, what do I do?

Contact Heather Blanchard in Human Resources at or 504.864.7896 to determine if there are any other leave regulations or policies, including FMLA, which may apply to your situation.

Employees | Operational FAQs | Benefits

If my doctor has given me personal health information documentation (PHI) to provide to my employer, where do I send it?

You will send it directly to Human Resources only. You may have it faxed to 504.864.7100 or contact the main HR phone number, 504.864.7757, for alternative directions. 

For benefits questions, you may call Crystal Thomas at 504.864.7027 or Kristin Vocke at 504.864.7667.

How do I contact Human Resources?

HR can be contacted by phone or email during regular business hours.

Employees | Operational FAQs | Financial Affairs

Will the university continue to process payment requests?

Yes, payment requests will be processed weekly.

How will payments for reimbursements and vendor services be processed?

  1. Faculty, Staff and Students should submit their reimbursement requests through Concur Solutions:

  2. Payments to vendors for executed services should be submitted using this online check request form:

  3. Purchase orders requisitions may still be submitted through the FRS. Payments to vendors who submit their invoices to will be reviewed and processed as necessary.

If this is a COVID-related expense, please include the following with your payment request:

  • Concur: Include COVID in the comment section of the expenses statement header
  • Purchase Requisition: Include a text line referencing COVID
  • Electronic Check Request: Include reference to COVID in the description section

When will payments be distributed?

All payments will be mailed. There will be no on-campus pick up location. Please ensure that a current address is included on all requests for payment. All payment questions should be directed to Tootie Buisson (, Jean Augustin (, Robin Rupp (, Daniella Solorzano (, or Cathy Roy (

How can I make a tuition payment?

Tuition payments can be made online via our e-Commerce system with an electronic check (free service). All that is needed is your financial institutions routing number and your checking or savings account information. Credit card payments are only accepted online as the e-Commerce provider charges a non-refundable 2.85% fee.

Can I mail in a tuition payment?

You can mail in a non-cash tuition payment to the Bursar’s Office directly. Our mailing address is:

6363 St. Charles Avenue
Campus Box 78
New Orleans, LA 70118

Your check payment will be safely secured at the university until we return to campus to post your payment.

How can I receive a copy of my 1098-T?

Students can contact ECSI for their tax document. If you prefer you can call them directly at 1-866-428-1098. Live CHAT is also available.